
I know I'm supposed to be posting my favorite things since I won Carrie's drawing, but I wanted to add a post while I'm thinking of what to include in my favorite things.
We (the three elementary student teachers) took a group of students on a field trip to the National Air and Space Museum. When we first told the teachers and the staff that we wanted to take field trips, they honestly laughed in our faces. We got a lot of, "Really? You want to take THESE kids OUT of the building?" I guess we really did, because we fought for it enough to get it off the ground. There were 8 fourth graders that went and 4 second graders. It was such a great experience! The kids loved the hands-on part of the museum where they just got to play with all sorts of cool stuff. None of these kids have ever been in an airplane, so walking through a model of one was really cool for them. The Air and Space Museum has a McDonalds attached to it, so we treated all the kids to lunch. They were in Heaven! They love McDonalds. They talk about it all the time and even have a little rap they sing all the time in class- "I need a double-cheeseburger hold the lettuce. I ain't playin'..." and then I usually cut them off so I don't know the rest. I also taught them how to make fry sauce because no one has heard of it out here. The kids really liked it. Jiheib said, "Wow, this is really a nice touch." It was like he was at a wine tasting or something. It is so great to see kids outside of class just being kids. We plan on taking most of the rest of our classes in two more field trips to different museums.


PS- I was looking on the Alpine School District website to work on an application, and there was a picture on the main page of a classroom full of white kids. I looked at it and the first thought that went through my head is, "How are you supposed to tell them apart? They all look the same!" It's so ironic because that was my first thought when I came out here!
6 comments:
I agree... whoever thought of fry sauce, Kudos! It is a really nice touch!
I wish you were my teacher, you're a nice touch!
How fun! I love feild trips. You guys are so amazing to work so hard to give these kids such great experiences.
Good for you already diving in to applications! I just thought I would tell you to also apply in Nebo district. I have LOVED working in it (I think maybe even a little more than Alpine). Good luck with all of that.
You're doing such a cool thing Tracie. That's awesome!
That's funny that you taught them how to make fry sauce. You're just like the "Freedom Writer's" teacher with the field trip and all.
Tracie, I don't know if you remember me (formerly Lisa Ahlborn) at all, but I found your blog through Carrie's, and I check it every day. I love reading about your experiences - keep up the good work! We live in the Alpine school district, and we would be SOOO lucky to get you at our school!
Post a Comment