08 March 2008

Snippets from the past week

Because of my "favorite things post", I realized that I haven't given an update in a while. Last Saturday, Jessica, Jodi, Kami, and I (my regular crew) went to the Spy Museum which was a ton of fun. We did this thing called Operation Spy where we got to be "real spys"! All I can say is watch out Sidney Bristow.
At school, the fourth grade just finished their realistic fiction stories that they wrote. I'm excited to collect them on Monday and read the funny things they ended up writing. The third grade is also working on realistic fiction stories. Ms. Bryant, a third grade teacher, came in to talk to me the other day and showed me a story that I am going to photocopy. It was by a little boy in her class. As I read through the story, I came across a part that goes something like this. "Jack was playing basketball at recess. Some boys threw a basketball at his head. He went up to his teacher, Ms. Butter, but she started talking to another teacher so he just played by himself." I thought it was really funny but felt bad that I ignored him in the story until I kept reading through his notebook. I found another story about a boy named Zack who gets good grades in math but is failing social studies. He knows he needs a tutor. He gets a note from a tutor to come to the class after school to meet, but when he shows up, it is his teacher Ms. Butter! "You're my teacher," he asks. "Who better to help you than me," she (or I?) reply. That last quote is a direct quote! Apparently the boys in her class have a little crush, or so I'm told. Speaking of which, a bunch of the 4th,5th, and 6th graders are going on an overnight fieldtrip to a college at the end of April. A few teachers and I were talking about how to arrange the kids for room assignments after school in front of Curtis. Sort of quietly, Curtis goes, "I want to sleep in your room Ms. Buttars." I looked down at him and said, "Excuse me!" He just started giggling and said, "Oh! Nevermind! I didn't say anything!"
The other day, we somehow got on the conversation of Utah. I for some reason said I was from Utah and a girl quickly reminded me I was from Idaho but went to school in Utah. I said, "Well yeah, but I live in Utah." Another girl's response was, "You take the metro from Utah?!" I said, "No, the metro doesn't go that far, I fly." This shocked her even more, "You fly everyday from Utah?!" Well, after we got it straightened out that I currently live in Northern Virginia, a boy in my class asked, "What do they speak there? Do they speak Utah?" Oh my goodness these kids are clueless! "No! They speak English." The more I thought about it though, maybe they do speak "Utah". Outside of Utah, I have never heard "Oh my heck","Moun-uhns"(mountains), or a plethora of things that are unique just to the Cache Valley
Okay, last story. A 4th grade version of Stanley from the Office is in my class. His name is Anthony. Anthony has that same glazed over look that Stanley always has and is pretty quiet. I told Ms. Appel that he reminded me of Stanley and she just about died because she could see it too. Anthony, like Stanley, has no work ethic. Yesterday, the kids were supposed to be reading, I went to Anthony's desk and said, "Why aren't you reading like you are supposed to be doing?" His eyes slowly rolled up in annoyance to me. In an annoyed tone he replied, "Because I'm working on my crossword." He honestly does crosswords and wordsearches all day just like Stanley! I'm telling you, the resemblance is spot on and it is really pretty entertaining.

1 comment:

julie said...

Hahah! Stanley! I can't wait for the Office to return again..my life will finally be complete. :) And OF COURSE every boy has a crush on you. You're the hottest teacher they've ever seen! You don't just look like Eva Mendez without being hot.