02 February 2008

A Chex Mix Update (aka... random stories all clumped together)

I decided to give a brief update because I figure if I want people to update their blogs so I can read them, I should update mine myself. Last Saturday we spent all afternoon in the Holocaust Museum. It was a really amazing place. Someone in the ward asked me the next day if it was "fun". My reply was, "Well... there was no ball pit..." The museum is actually really depressing but so interesting. One of my favorite quotes in the museum was in a section devoted to those who risked their lives to help the Jews. It is from a German preacher who summarized what happens when people don't take a stand, "They came for the trade union, but I was not a trade unionist, so I did not respond. They came for the Socialists, but I was not a Socialist, so I did not respond. They came for the Jews and since I was not a Jew, I didn't respond. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."
Somehow from the time I went into the Holocaust Museum to the time I came out, I got sick. Weird I know. I've had a cold all this week though which wasn't fun at all. On Wednesday I was feeling really crappy but had to go to school because my teacher was going to be gone. This left me as the sub... without a voice... with a bunch of crazy kids. They surprisingly did better than I thought but talked a lot. Finally I chewed them all out about how I was sick, how I don't get to go to the nurse and stay home like them, how I plan lessons and all they do is talk and don't do their assignments... yadda yadda. I guess this really got to them because a bunch of kids wrote me apology/get well soon cards. Here is a sample of some of them (note- this is actual spelling and punctuation- or the lack there of):

From: Tyjzae
To: Ms. lovely Buttas
Dear Ms. Buttas I apologize for disrespecting you will just started to play to much Ms. Buttas it will not happend again we all love you.

From: Ny-Jae
I fill bad for you Ms. butters becuse I now what you are going throw becuse you are sick and I was to so I what you to now I love you and I am going to do a porm
Rose oer red vilites are blue I love you so much I what to be just like u. you are so great I just what to hug you so much I will cry. I love you ms. butter I hope you enjoy this note. (On the back)- rose are red vilites are blue I am sorry for disrpetting you. (Then there is a little heart and inside it says- I wish you were my mom).

From: Nikita (after she angrily yelled "slut" across the room and I kicked her out)
Dear Ms. Better
I am sorry for yelling out a bad word in the class because boy dominique (there is a "girl dominique" in the other class) going to call me a bad word so I call his back the same word he call me Do you asape my aglioue (apology?) I miss metake my words because I do not know how to spell them. Thats why I call it back at him. yes or no

They were all so cute and nice. Too bad they were all bad again after lunch...! haha.

Okay last thing- My roommates Kami and Liz and I all set out last night to get cheap Jazz vs. Wizards tickets. Even at the end of the first quarter, they were going for $60 a seat! Well this guy took it upon himself to go out on a mission to find us cheap tickets. He seriously spent like 10-15 minutes looking for us because he wanted to all party after the game together. Well he found us 3 tickets for $15 dollars each! There was even a bonus- my roomamates tickets were nosebleeds but my ticket was a suite ticket. Going in, the guy found out we were Utah fans, which led him to realizing we were Mormon, which led us to realizing we were all really young, which led him to saying "have fun" and parting ways with us once we got in. Well we just wanted to see the lower level box I was in, so we batted our eyes at the old guy checking tickets. He let us all in to the level. The guy at the actual suite couldn't be sweet talked unfortunately. He told us that only I could go in, so we walked around the corner and sat lower than the suite ticket! We didn't really feel that bad because there were a ton of empty seats and it was half-time. It was a blast. We had to cheer quietly to avoid getting jumped but the Jazz won 96-87!

Here is a picture of us after the game-

6 comments:

jackie said...

i just laughed for like 5 minutes at the note from Ny-Jae. that is the cutest and funniest thing ever

*LaUrA* said...

hahaha...I had to make Josh pause his movie so I could read him the notes.

I hope my kids never tell their teacher they wish they were their mom...I would cry! But sometimes I wish you were my mom too. ummm...weird?sorry.

Brandi said...

Tracie...you sound like such an amazing teacher...WAY TO GO! And you look adorable...I can't believe you're old enough, you're making ME feel very old!

Annie & Jake said...

Tracie! I just tried to leave you a comment but it didn't work...so if you get it later on, sorry for posting twice! Anyway, this is Annie Harris. Remember me!? I wanted to let you know that I read your blog from time to time and I think it's really interesting and funny. Your teaching job sounds challenging but I'm sure you are an excellent teacher. Oh, and I hope you are feeling better! I hate having to go to work when I'm sick. Anyway, love the blog and take care!

Lara said...

TRACIE! HI GIRL!! I found your blog through someone else's link. LOVE IT! The note from Ny-Jae is FREAKING ADORABLE! I could smoosh her/him! Ha! You sound like you're doing well and you look as cute as ever!

Casey Marie said...

Wow, Tracie! I found your link on my sister's page and read a few of your blogs and it sounds like you are doing awesome! That is so cool! Those letters are adorable. :)