08 April 2008

Neglectful No More!

As it turns out, my online journal (aka this blog) has thrived slightly better than any other journal I've ever had. Despite this fact, I have failed to post anything recently so here is the big update:

I only have 3 more days of student teaching. Three more days of college! I can't believe it. At one point, I didn't think that college would ever end. In fact, there was about a year of my life that I didn't think it would end but now, all of the sudden, it is over! Thinking about leaving D.C. and my class is very bittersweet. I am going to miss these kids so much. They all have larger than life, unforgetable personalities. At the same time, I am looking forward to moving on and having my own class.

Jodi, Jessica, Kami, and I spent our last weekend out here on a quick trip to New York City. We had so much fun! Here are the highlights of the trip in a photo journal format...

- The Bus: We took the Chinatown bus from DC's Chinatown to NYC's Chinatown. To paint a picture of what this is like, I just have to explain where the bus pickup was. The neon green bus pulled up right between two classic Chinatown restaurants, the Wok n' Roll and New Big Wong.


-Serendipity: I got to go back to one of my favorite spots in New York for frozen hot chocolate. It is a really popular place (especially after the Kate Beckinsale/John Cusack movie) but it is really worth all the hype. A waiter made fun of Jodi and I for sucking every last bit of our treats out of the glass before we left!


- FAO Schwartz: I love this place. If you are wondering why we all look so annoyed by "think green" it is because the principal at our school (who talks like Michael Jackson) says it ALL THE TIME! Green represents being proficient in standarized tests, and since Amidon... struggles... the big motivator for the last month or two has been to think green. It was sort of catchy at first, but now that it is on every newsletter, announcement, bulletin board, etc, it is just plain annoying. We were laughing so hard when randomly we saw this redundant phrase painted on the wall at the toy store. We also saw these awesome Harry Potter statues made all out of Legos. I wish they were my students. Maybe I could be the next Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher!



-Times Square: We had a lot of fun just hanging out in Times Square. I know, I know... almost every single picture in this entire blog I am wearing this dang green coat, but most of the time we take pictures outside and it is cold!


-Magnolia Bakery: I have been wanting to eat a cupcake from this place for a year and a half now since it was closed when I went to New York over Thanksgiving. It was well worth the wait! The cupcakes in this cute little bakery in the village are awesome! The picture is of our new friend who works there. Afterwards, we ate at a great authentic NY style pizza place called Johns.


-Subway!: Probably the funniest thing that happened on the trip happened on our way back from Chinatown. Chinatown is crazy in itself. The weirdness was heightened when we sat by a lady who had either gone crazy or was strung out on something. She kept "falling asleep" and almost falling out of the seat on the train. Then she would perk up, take a huge bit of licorice, drool a bunch of red spit, and then fall back asleep. When we got to our stop, we (meaning everyone but me) failed to remember that the doors close much faster in New York than in DC on the metro and they don't give you the friendly ding as a warning. Before I knew it, I was standing on the platform while all of my friends were on their way to the next stop. I tried for the next 20 minutes to not look like a crazy person laughing to myself while I waited for them to come back. Top top it all off, Kami almost got left out of the train again as they were trying to come back. Jodi and Jess had to wedge her in after the doors closed on her!

1 comment:

julie said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm so glad that you took the opportunity to go to DC, and I'm excited that you will be done with school! It seems like something you plan your whole life for, then all of the sudden it's over. I think we need to celebrate your graduation (and belatedly Carrie's and mine) by taking a girl trip. It would work out well with Carrie being in Idaho for a while. Let's plan it! Love you and see you soon!